I would not say that my understanding of philosophy has changed as much as the way I view philosophy in order to understand it. Subjects like history and math may be taught in different methods depending on the teacher, but the ultimate goal is get an understanding of facts. All math teachers tell their students one plus one equals two. I think philosophy is a subject that the teacher has more of an effect on how the students understand the specific material that they teach. With the old professor I was able to understand philosophy mainly based on mind-body experience and how to think about certain situations given certain circumstances. With the new professor I am able to understand philosophy based on going through a process which is supposed to help me move towards a conclusion. Both professors, through their styles of teaching were and are able to allow me to understand the material they were trying to teach. But the main difference that I have found between the two is that the new professor has provided us with certain procedures on how to come to philosophical conclusions.
Steven Lippman
Monday, March 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree. With the previous professor, we mostly focused on Metaphysics in regards to the mind-body as you stated before, and if something can exist outside of space and time. With the previous professor, I only understood a narrow path of the wide spectrum of what philosophy really is..as taught by the new professor. I believe that I am able to actually understand what an argument is and how it is formulated in various ways in our society today.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with you Steven. We pretty much said the exact same things in my blog. I prefer this way of philosophy because it makes much more sense to me. As opposed to the old way, which was interesting, but not as usefull.
ReplyDelete